UKOUG Conference 2012 and Oracle Certification – Are they on Your Agenda?
Posted by Joel Goodman on 14/09/2012
The UKOUG launched the 2102 Server Technology conference agenda yesterday evening, at an informal gathering at the Rack and Tenter pub near the Oracle London City Office. I had a chance to see the conference agenda for the first time since the conference planning conference that I attended in July in Reading.
I met with other presenters, some Oracle colleagues and various others, some of whom came as guests of the invitees, but who also had interesting things to add to the evenings proceedings. Good food, some drinks and even time to debate the finer points of comedy and comedians, and the complexities of Rugby laws for people who dont know the game. As I am an amateur, county level rugby referee, this was not a bad topic for an Oracle meeting!
This is especially so, given that the guest speaker at this year’s conference will be an Ex-England rugby captain.
Also had some time to catch up with friends and colleagues from the user group and as usual, the organisers have done a fine job in creating a top quality agenda for this year.
New in the agenda is the inclusion of “Engineered Systems” as a separate category for talks and round table sessions to cover the various Oracle engineered solutions:
- Oracle Exadata Database Machine
- Oracle Database Appliance
- Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud
- Oracle Sparc Super Cluster
- Oracle Exalytics In-Memory Machine
- Oracle Big Data Appliance
- Sun ZFS Storage Appliance
At this year’s conference I will be involved in the following activities:
- Presenting a talk on Oracle Partitioning New Features
- Presenting a talk on RAC Global Resource Management
- Chairing the Data Guard Round Table Discussion Group
- Chairing the Living with Engineered Systems Round Table Discussion Group
- Chairing the Grid Infrastructure and RAC Round Table Discussion Group
I have spent the last four months working various certification developments projects and hence had no time to post new articles. Part of my role in Oracle is that of Global team leader for DBA Certification Exam Development and in that capacity I:
- Write large parts of the Oracle Certified Expert (OCE) DBA exams
- Review all DBA Oracle Certified Associate (OCA) exams
- Review all DBA Oracle Certified Professional (OCP) exams
- Define the content of the DBA Oracle Certified Master (OCM) exams
- Design the OCM Delivery system used in Oracle University Classrooms
Part of this involved New feature Exams for upgrading OCP when a new release of Oracle is available and I’ve been looking at that this summer.
Earlier this summer I recorded three Oracle Certification Exam Prep Seminars which help exam candidates review the exam objectives, and assess their own skills gap as an aid to revising for the exam. You can preview them using the following links
- Oracle RAC and Grid Infrastructure Administration
- Oracle Database Administration Workshop II
- Upgrade Oracle Certified Professional (OCP) to Oracle Database 11g
There will also be a segment on the Oracle Certified Master Exam covering:
- Preparing for the exam
- How the exam is conducted
- How to handle the pressure of time
- What happens after the exam
This part is still in post production editing at the time of writing this post.
I hope to see some friends and colleagues at this year’s conference and also hope that people planning on maintaining their certification or attaining new ones find the prep seminars useful.